[sword-devel] R. Stendal's email to me concerning the JB2000

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:57:11 -0400

Here's the email I had talked about earlier, giving permission to use the JB2000 for the SWORD project, the reasons for the copyright, and a suggestion given to me to get the text online.  There's also a short discourse on a word he had used in a particular verse (free of charge).

jth

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Russell Martin Stendal [mailto:rms05001@neutel.com.co]
	Sent: Thu 6/12/2003 9:20 PM
	To: Jeremy Hatfield
	Subject: Re: {SPAM?} Cable in Mt 19

	At 03:48 p.m. 11/06/03 -0400, you wrote:

		Hello Br. Russell,

		Came across what seems to be a typo in Mt 19:24.  The copy I have reads "cable," but I wonder if it should read "camel."  Textus Receptus 1550, Luther 1545, ZÀ € rcher 1531, Wycliffe, Tyndale, and the KJV all read "camel."  I do see "cable" in the 1569 Version Antigua, but could that have been a scribal error?

		Have you made the Jubilee Bible 2000 available electronically?  I am on the developers' list for the SWORD project.  I'm currently working on Bible modules based on the Luther 1545 and ZÀ € rcher 1531, and would like to make the Jubilee Bible 2000 available for that program as well.

		The SWORD project is, to the best of my knowledge, completely nonprofit and noncommercial.  They are developing a Bible program for the PC, Mac, and I think even Palm--all completely freeware.  The work done is solely on a voluntary basis, by people with a knack for computing and a love for the Bible.  For more information about it, go to www.crosswire.org/sword

		If the project is agreeable to you, I will need an electronic copy of the text (via email should be fine).  From there, I'll use the set of developers' tools I have for making the module, and run it through alpha and beta testing with the guys on the sword-devel list.  I'll keep you posted on its progress, will not allow the text to be altered in any way (even the verse I thought was questionable above will remain as you originally put it), and will include the copyright information in with the module.

		If the idea is not agreeable to you, for whatever reason, I will understand.  You do hold the copyright, and I would not want to undertake such a project without the consent of the author.

		Thanks, and God Bless,
		jth

		-------

	***
	The word cable is not a typo in the Jubilee Bible.  In addition to the 1569 edition by Casiodoro de Reina, I believe that it also reads this way in the 1543 edition of the NT by Francisco de Encinas as well as in the 1556 edition of the Spanish NT by Juan Perez de P퀮eda.  There have been fragments of a Hebrew edition of Matthew and other evidence of Hebrew manuscripts destroyed in the Inquisition that open the possibility that Matthew could have been written originally in Hebrew and the word camel could have been introduced somehow when the translation was made into Greek.  There are passages in the Spanish translation of Casiodoro de Reina (and others) that seem to reflect resources that they were using for some of the New Testament (particularly in Matthew, Hebrews and Revelation) that are no longer available (presumably they were destroyed by the Inquisition).

	Anywhere we had two or three good witnesses -- and the text made good sense in tune with the Spirit of the message -- we tended to leave the translation of the Spanish Reformers intact in the Jubilee Bible.  Regarding the explanation of certain modern scholars that the word camel refers in fact to a certain narrow gate (supposedly called the eye of the needle ) in Jerusalem -- we can certainly find no reference to such a gate in the OT.  Certainly in the account of Ezra and Nehemiah there is no reference to such a gate and all the gates are definitely named in OT Scripture -- if such was the case in NT times the name had to have been a nickname and not the original name of the gate.  Some of the confusion may have come from the fact that certain types of heavy rope (cable) were actually made from camel s hair back in ancient times.

	The Jubilee Bible is currently available in electronic form as a module to the OnlineBible program and may be downloaded from www.OnlineBible.net <http://www.onlinebible.net/>   Go to the User supplied modules subpage (of the downloads page) and it is code JB2000.

	Please bear in mind that both the electronic version posted on the net as well as the printed edition that you have are the Proof Edition.  We are still in the process of checking (and adjusting) a number of things before we publish the next edition and go into full scale production.

	It is fine with me if you use the Jubilee Bible for the SWORD project.  The main reason for the copyright is to preserve the content and identity (not to limit legitimate use or distribution).  I will probably have the next revision of this Bible done in a couple months (at this point it looks like there will not be that many changes -- but of the few changes that will be made some are extremely significant).

	If you are able to use the OnlineBible edition as a source for your project that would be the easiest way.  Once you have the OnlineBible program installed on your computer you can then add the JB2000 as a module and export the text any way that you desire.  (If this doesn t meet your needs let me know and we can do something else).

	If the Sword Project is interested in Spanish Bibles you may be interested to know that I have also published a Spanish Translation called Las Sagradas Escrituras Versi஀ Antigua (OnlineBible code SEV) also know as Reina Valera 2000.  This is the first translation that I worked on and the Jubilee Bible is really an English reflection of the work that I did in Spanish.  This Spanish Bible is now in its fourth printing and virtually all the bugs and typos are fixed.

	Blessings,

	Russ