[sword-devel] Sword Vision -Re: free Windows compiler for SWORD

Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:58:21 -0700

At 04:08 PM 7/21/2003 -0700, Chris Little wrote:

>Don A. Elbourne Jr. wrote:
>
>>It would not bother me at all if Sword instituted a
>>policy/mechanism that every module had to be in valid well-formed OSIS 1.5,
>>anything else wouldn't even display.
>
>That certainly works for me.  At the moment, we're not targeting
>user-created documents because of the difficulty in creating valid OSIS
>documents.  I think that's outside the scope of Sword-proper.

I haven't suggested this in a long time, so here it is again. As long as
you are considering checking a module to see if it is well-formed, check it
also for tampering. A database of validity checks could be maintained on
Crosswire and distributed with the program. If a module is found that does
not verify, a message to the user could inform that it may have been
tampered with or may be provided by another source and level of
quality/compliance is not known.

(If it doesn't show, I agree with Chris that badly formed modules should be
discouraged.)

Jerry