[sword-devel] OSIS 1.5 / OSIS Editor

Simon sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 23:14:59 +0200

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your reply, really some good ideas

> okay.  Smaller units like <divineName>, <hi>, or <reference> probably
> shouldn't have their own tree nodes in a display.  I don't know whether
> that was actually your plan or not, but watch out because there can be
> many more elements in a document than would be reasonable to display in
> a tree structure.

For now, I only planned to add the <div> to the tree. Maybe the <p> is worth
considering (most likely it's going to be a user option)...

> There's a difference between being forced to type in tags manually
> (which is bad for a user-friendly editor like you're trying to make) and
> a user being allowed to type tags in manually (which is good for a
> user-friendly editor aimed at users whose abilities will gradually
> increase).  Dreamweaver and most other HTML editors have a nice dual
> display UI that lets users work either in a rendered text window (like a
> word processor) or a raw XML text window (for fine-grained editing).

I agree, that is, as far as the editing of text, not for the editing of the
structure (<div>). I can't think of any good reason WHY someone needs to
modify the structure-tags. By not allowing editing the structure then only
via the tree, it's much easier to check if the text a user typed in is
correct XML. Another problem avoided then is that large texts (like for
example Matthew Henry, which is over 20MB in OSIS), slow down the system
when all that text is loaded in a RichTextBox (my editing component,
osisRichTextBox is derived from RichTextBox)...

> Sword is a bit far from being able to handle OSIS references.  We can
> handle the OT/NT Bible references only.  Apocrypha and non-Biblical
> references still need to be handled, though some of the non-Biblical
> stuff is pretty close and just needs more hooks via private protocol and
> linking internal to the Sword frontends.

As far as I know, the following references are working in Sword (I don't
know if this is also true for OSIS documents?):
- References to a bible-text (OT or NT)
- References to a passage in a commentary (or at least to another passage in
itself)

I don't know if it's possible to create a reference to a lexicon? The
possibility to create references to BDB and Thayers could be really useful
in a commentary... Does Sword currently support this?

In Christ,

Simon