[sword-devel] free Windows compiler for SWORD

Simon sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:06:15 +0200

> > Why not add a simple edit function in Sword itself, with just some
> simple
> > functions, like font-properties and text-references, something like E-
> Sword
> > has.
>
> Are you offering to work on it? ;)

As soon as I have some time (which is very soon, I hope, I'm currently in
project that's running a month over time).

> We also do NOT want to allow GENERAL editing in the sword tool for
> ethical reasons.  If someone decides they want to incorrectly change
> John 1:1 in the NASB from "and the Word was God" to "and the Word was a
> God", just because they can click and modify, it poses copyright
> problems for us.  Placing editable works copyrighted by other
> individuals in front of our end users is not something I feel we want to
> do.  There is nothing that can be done to physically prevent a user from
> making and publishing such a change, but our software shouldn't lend
> itself to making it anything other than a premeditated purposeful
> circumvention of copyright.  99% of our users want a readonly tool, save
>   a personal commentary editor.  I'm under the persuasion that an
> editing tool should be a separate piece of software.

I agree with that. My idea is a stand-alone app, working like a word
processor (as easy to use as MS Word), doing all the markup, and files are
saved/loaded as OSIS (that is: a subset of OSIS to begin with).

But, it would be nice if users can 'test' the text-references while they're
typing their text, so: is there a DLL (or something like that), with which I
can easely use the Sword system to get a bibletext?

Greetz,

Simon