[sword-devel] free Windows compiler for SWORD

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:00:55 -0700

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> I amrather familiar with HTML and SGML assume I can get my head around
> other descriptive languages.

We recommend using OSIS 1.5.  The webpage is
http://www.bibletechnologies.net/, the schema is
http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.1.5.xsd, and draft
documentation is also available.

> But to this day I have not been able to understand from the crosswire
> website how to go about and create a module if I wanted to. And I have
> been looking into some Dutch documents I might want to add. But to this
> day I find the website too hard navigate to find anything beyond the
> modules itself.

Documentation is at
http://crosswire.org/sword/develop/swordmodule/index.jsp.  xml2gbs (for
GenBooks) and osis2mod (which either needs to be generalized to handle
all mod types or needs to be renamed) are the two tools you'll use with
OSIS documents.

> If you want people to contribute you might want to considere which skills
> are required and which are not. At present the information is too hard to
> find. (I would expect some information at
> http://www.crosswire.org/sword/volunteer/writers.jsp but there is none.)

I'm in the process of updaing the website, but it's a relatively low
priority and only a couple of sections have been revised.  Some sections
(like the writers and graphic designers pages) don't even represent our
view and will be removed.

If you can't find something you think should be there, use google.

--Chris