[sword-devel] free Windows compiler for SWORD

Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:19:03 -0700

Hello all you Windows would-be developers, we have really good news.

Borland has been in the habbit of releasing different levels of their
tools at different price tiers, and sometimes they have a 'Personal' or
'Open' edition which is free for personal use or opensource development.
  Now, I'd personally recommend buying their tools.  I use them for all
of my commercial development and they are second to none-- truely built
with the developer in mind.

We have just made sure that BibleCS (Windows version of SWORD) builds
with Borland's Personal edition of their compiler.  Thanks to David
Trotz, Jr. and Daniel Glassey for the work in the past on the Version 6
Project files.  I have personally confirmed they now work correctly with
the compiler from a clean checkout of sword.

So, we're seeking Windows developers; no excuses now!

Here are the steps to freely compile our free software freely :)

Download and install Borland's compiler at:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,6566,030,00.html?fsrParam=2-3-/main/1,6566,030,00.html&fileID=2879

You'll have to get a Nokia developer username/password for this first step

Download and Install WinCVS:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cvsgui/WinCvs13b13.zip?download

Follow the WinCVS instructions to checkout the source code:

http://www.crosswire.org/sword/develop/biblecs/cvs.jsp

FOR WINDOWS DEVELOPMENT, YOU'LL NEED TO CHECKOUT 2 CVS MODULES: 'sword'
and 'icu-sword' (the instructions just say to checkout 'sword')  Both
modules should be checked out to the same location, so you should end up
with both sword and icu-sword directories in that folder.

Download the ICU DLL

ftp://ftp.crosswire.org/pub/sword/utils/win32/swicu20.dll

and place it in the CVS tree at:

sword/apps/windoze/CBuilder6/BibleCS/stage

Then change to the folder:

sword/apps/windoze/CBuilder6/BibleCS/

and double-click on:

swordprj.bpg

 From the Borland IDE menu, choose Projects|Build All Projects

And that's it!!!

One recommendation: create a directory, \etc  at the root of the drive
where you checked out the sword source and place a file sword.conf
containing something like:

[Install]
DataPath=d:/Program Files/CrossWire/The SWORD Project/

This will let the sword.exe running from the Borland IDE find your SWORD
modules (Bibles, etc.)

Have fun!

	-Troy.