[sword-devel] Unicode enabled winsword

Daniel Glassey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 17:23:01 -0000

I haven't checked in the source yet but there is now an alpha to test
that has many Unicode enabled controls. This means that on a unicode
enabled OS (sorry, that means not Win9x) that the menus/comboboxes
etc can display unicode text.

I've added an option in the preferences to change the 'User
interface' font. That will change what font is used in comboboxes and
text entry.

There are still plenty of bugs like:
the book name displayed in the commentary isn't in unicode
not all controls have been converted yet
when you switch to a non-roman book name with the the combobox the
book name combobox goes blank

On Win9x the same exe can be used but any non-Latin script will be
displayed as '????'. For non-English windows - sword locales can
still be made for the appropriate codepage.

It is available at:
http://www.crosswire.org/~dglassey/swordalpha/sword20030125_2.exe

If you are interested in such a thing please test and could you make
and send me your unicode locale files.
The ones I can think of offhand (that there are modules and/or
locales for already) are Thai, Chinese (Traditional and Simplified),
Korean, Russian, Ukrainian.

Also, a question for non-English users, or those working on non-
English stuff. Does it make more sense for the module name to be
displayed in:
(1)English
(2)the language of the module
(3)the language of the user

1 is generally what we have at the moment.
2 might not display on win9x, but could have a fallback of English
3 would be a lot of work for translators since there are a lot of
modules

Daniel