[sword-devel] Copyrights and derivative works

Joel Mawhorter sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 12:39:57 -0800

On January 18, 2003 08:53, Matthew Donadio wrote:
> Joel Mawhorter wrote:
> > While the topics of copyrights and derivative works are fresh on
> > everyone's mind I thought I would ask a question. Does anyone know what
> > the U.S. laws are regarding producing a derative work based on a
> > copyrighted work? For example, could I create a NIV concordence without
> > the permission of the IBS?
>
> I'm not sure if this clears things up, but if you read the NIV copyright
> page, they specificially state that commentaries and reference works
> based on the NIV for commercial purposes require written premission from
> the publisher.

Where did you see this? In my printed copy of the NIV I don't have anything to
that effect.

Even if I did it wouldn't really clear things up. Companies can claim all
sorts of rights that they have no legal basis to claim. For instance I could
print and book and put on the copyright page that permission was required to
write a review of the book. However my guess is that fair use laws would
override that.

Joel