[sword-devel] Sword license

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:51:01 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> I do fully desire to be able to use OSIS documents.
>
> To me Sword project is the most open Bible software availalbe.
> This is why I chose this project.
>
> Texts wise, what would I miss out on by going an OSIS route?
> Would there be documents unavailable, but available via Sword?
> Would the Sword Modules (not libs) offer features not available via OSIS?

I'm not sure how we will go about releasing Sword modules as OSIS
documents, but I suspect a lot of our stuff will get released.  Things
that won't get released as OSIS docs would include most copyrighted
texts.  The very beginnings of our repository are at
http://www.bibletechnologieswg.org/osis/docs/ currently but I imagine
someone else will run a better site for this sort of thing.

There's nothing that the modules themselves will provide that OSIS
doesn't, aside from compression and some indexing.  The libraries
themselves offer features like toggling display of certain items and
transliteration, but these are easy to reproduce/unnecessary.

--Chris