[sword-devel] Java APIs. was: Squeak Sword UI

Joe Walker sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 18:26:11 +0000

Chris wrote:

>>The Java frontend, does it use the Sword libraries or will there be Java
>>code for reading Sword modules?
>>

>JSword is implementing routines to read Sword modules natively in Java.
>I don't know their progress, but it's a big task.  There's also an
>advantage in porting from C++ to Java in that the two are similar enough
>that porting is made simpler and (if nothing else) someone who can write
>Java can probably read C++ reasonably well.  (I know that's a BIG
>assumption of Java programmers--no offense to the JSword team, just Troy.)

We are doing OK over in JSword. I would say we are at parity with C++
Sword with most things. Exceptions being UI support for Lex/Dict and
Concordances and in reading some compressed Sword modules. I hope we
will be done with that in a month or so.

Joe.