[sword-devel] RE: [sword-devel]Squeak Sword UI

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:19:00 +0800

> If the Sword project provided OSIS modules for all its text
> that would
> be fine.
>
> With OSIS there is a spec to go by.
>
> I could start there within Squeak. If I needed to interface the Sword
> libraries then I could. I would have to be willing to limit access to
> those platforms for which it is available, but only for those Modules
> which aren't available in OSIS, GBF or other publicly
> spec'd/documented
> format.

You might make something that could use Sword modules, but it wouldn't
really be a Sword front end unless it worked through the Sword libraries.
That's not necessarily a bad thing, if there's a need for it. But is there?

As for platforms, the Sword library has been designed with portability in
mind. It's my understanding that it will run on pretty much anything for
which a standards-compliant C++ compiler is available. It is known to have
been successfully installed on Windows, Mac, Linux and some handhelds/PDAs.
I'm confident that the main development team would also be happy to support
and encourage efforts to port it to other platforms, too, as needs dictate.