[sword-devel] New filter for red letter words

Patrick Narkinsky sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 23:09:57 -0500

Thus spake "porton@narod.ru"> :

> Patrick, I don't understand. Do you junkie?
>
> In Hebrew is YHWH, not "the lorrd" and you also know this. What do you mean?

I was joking and being sarcastic. Traditionally, English translations have
followed the LXX in rendering YHWH as "the Lord" (in Greek, hO KURIOS).
Personally, I find this practice rather silly. What is the point of having a
"literal" translation when you are going to make such a major change to half
the Bible?  (For an example of a place where this is just idiotic, look at
the NASB.  Most literal? I think not.)

So far as I know, the only major English translation to translate YHWH
literally is the New Jerusalem (and, I suppose, the Jerusalem Bible as
well.)

Patrick

--
Patrick Narkinsky - Apprentice Pastor, Hope Community Church

"I would rather feel contrition than know how to define it."

- Thomas a Kempis