[sword-devel] Sword, PHP, and PostNuke

Curtis Farnham sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 16:24:23 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for trying to help, Joachim!

I looked into SWIG, but it's over my head.  My
programming experience has been limited to web
scripting languages and a litle FORTRAN.  Besides, I
think SWIG may be overkill.

Maybe I am wrong about SWIG, but from what I gather,
using it would either require becoming intimately
familiar with the Sword source code (and I don't even
know the language it's written in), or requiring that
all servers on which my module is used have Sword
installed.  Both of these are impractical at best.

Please let me re-phrase my original request:

What I envision is for PostNuke site administrators to
simply download Sword text modules to their web sites,
and use an installation routine that reads those
modules, determines what books, chapters, and verses
they contain, and inserts the data into a MySQL table.
 (Or, just uses the Sword text modules as flat files
instead of doing the database thing.)

Regardless of what the project ultimately does with
the data in the NT and OT files, it needs to be able
to read *.bks, *.chs, and *.vss files.  Otherwise,
I'll have to limit this project to only those texts
which match the KJV book-chapter-verse format.  I
*could* do this, but I really don't want to.

So, I am looking for help with either of the
following:

A. Obtaining PHP code that can read *.bks, *.chs, and
*.vss files,

or

B. understanding the specifics of these files so I can
develop this portion of the code myself.  Again, I
don't understand C and C++ (or whatever language Sword
is written in).  I do have an intermediate knowledge
of PHP, and I am familiar with basic coding practices
and techiques.

Thanks!
Curtis