[sword-devel] Accusations...

Sun, 05 Jan 2003 01:37:50 -0700

I've been in recent dialog with Larry for about 2 months now.  I've done
everything I know how-- recently and through the years-- to try to
please him, even honoring unfounded claims of copyright that he makes.
I'm not sure why he's been so rash in his correspondence lately.

The short of it is that I have asked him to SPECIFICALLY list what he
claims as _his_, and what he doesn't want us to distribute.  The
KJV+strongs was one thing.  We've started our KJV2003 project to replace
the module that DID come from OLB.  I asked Larry a number of years ago
for permission to distribute this.  He told me that it was ok, as long
as our project remained free.  He also stated that he wanted to exchange
a _hardcopy_ agreement on it.  I NEVER FOLLOWED UP WITH A HARDCOPY
AGREEMENT.  IT'S MY FAULT.  But I do have the old email somewhere on a
backup, and in the spirit of the email I received from him, I understood
that we did have permission and from that email WE WERE NEVER ASKED TO
NOT DISTRIBUTE this text.  2 months ago I received 2 emails from users
quoting Larry calling us thieves for using this text.  I wrote Larry,
asking about it and he claimed we stole it and everything else we
distribute from the OLB CD.  For the record: I have NEVER had in my
possession an OLB CD.  We've gone round and round for 2 months about it.
  I told him that I would respect his request to discontinue
distribution of it, but in the spirit of his previous email granting
permission, I felt it was only fair to continue distributing until a
replacement could be made.  I said Jan 1, 2003.  He didn't comment on
this, so I think he thought that was fine.  On Jan 1, I told him that
our KJV2003 was not yet complete, and asked if he would allow us a
little more time.  I told him I would immediately remove the module if
he decided not to.  He's criticized the validity of our KJV2003 project
since then, and still hasn't commented on this last request.  That's
were we stand now.

There are 2 other modules that he has specifically named as his own.
They are lexicons and, to use his words: *The ones containing Info to
TWOT and TDNT and the counts for the AV

I'm guessing these are our Thayer and BDB lexicons.  The Thayer and BDB
works are indeed in the public domain.  They have been listed as such on
many websites and even in commercial apps like BibleWorks (where I think
our latest version came from-- Chris?).

I think he might have added the AV counts, and if so, we can remove that
information and anything else that isn't in the original work (if we
would have known they weren't in the original work, we would have
_fixed_ it long ago).

Larry threatened me with this Hall of Shame thing.  I told him that was
fine, I didn't have anything to hide or of which to be ashamed and would
just publicly post all of our correspondence and let the public decide.
  I'm still considering this.

I've invited Larry to join our efforts and offered our services to him
many times in the past.  Please pray that Larry would have a
collaborative, brotherly spirit regarding these matters.  As for the
legality of the same, please let me know if anyone knows ANYTHING we've
done to illegally impose on Larry's rights.  I can't seem to figure out
what to do to make Larry happy.

	God's Peace,
		-Troy A. Griffitts