[sword-devel] i18n of sword website

Daniel Glassey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:06:06 -0000

One (imho) very important thing is the ability to edit the the
translations offline. This would allow people on limited dialup to
work on it.

I'd suggest that there should be a way to download the 'translation
page' in a format that can be easily edited. A spreadsheet file is
one option though it requires people to have a spreadsheet program.
(is that reasonable?)

Alternatively if .po files (like gettext uses) could be generated
then we could point to poEdit (http://poedit.sourceforge.net/) as a
tool to edit them. One description of the format is at

http://docsrv.caldera.com:8457/cgi-bin/info2html?(gettext)PO%2520Files

I don't think it'll be too difficult to generate a file in that
format. The only complication that there might be is multi-line
entries, but it doesn't sound like there'll need to be any.
(especially if you end up using gettext!)

We'll also need an easy way to import and merge submissions that are
emailed in.

Sounds good so far :)
Daniel

P.S. Using GNU gettext like Martin suggests gets you the tools to
import and merge and it has a java api for reading the strings from
the translation. The thing that looks less simple (afaict) is using
it for online editing of the translations.

On 25 Feb 2003 at 5:28, Troy A. Griffitts sent forth the message: