[sword-devel] Web Interface

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 03:41:29 EST

--part1_ad.2b2d9e5b.2b8c8639_boundary

In a message dated 2/24/2003 11:58:19 PM Pacific Standard Time,
chrislit@crosswire.org writes:

> More or less correct, but it's not exactly clear whether they're counting,
> for example, the 1/3 of Malaysians who can read Chinese in both their
> Chinese and Bahasa Malaysia statistics (which they should, and it looks
> like they may).  And even so, it's not clear what they consider to be a
> "native speaker" in terms of proficiency level.
>
> --Chris

This is "estimation". And their estimation method have been publish in their
web site. You are welcome to find better research result. It is usually not
worthy to come out a very clear number anyway since those number obsolete
every 2-3 monthes.

If you think you can do a better job than these marketing professional, you
are welcome to write your own page. I simply trust their number after I look
at their source.

I do believe the estimation may have error in it. It is estimation anyway.
But how much and does those error matter. For example, if you look at
<A HREF="http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/my.html">http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/my.html</A>

"Ethnic groups:
Malay and other indigenous 58%, Chinese 24%, Indian 8%, others 10% (2000)
Languages:Bahasa Melayu (official), English, Chinese dialects
(Cantonese,Mandarin, Hokkien, Hakka, Hainan, Foochow), Tamil, Telugu,
Malayalam, Panjabi,Thai; note - in addition, in East Malaysia several
indigenous languages arespoken, the largest of which are Iban and Kadazan   "

It does not say how many % of the Malaysian speak Chinese. But it does said
24% of the population is Chinese. While 24% is not equal to 33% (1/3), people
may argue that there are more % of Chinese online than other Ethnic group in
Malaysia (which is probably true). But so what, if it is % is 24% instead of
33.33%? It will be 530K less than what it reported there.

It looks like the "<A HREF="http://www.census.gov/apsd/wepeople/we-3.pdf">the Census Bureau's report</A> " <A HREF="http://www.census.gov/apsd/wepeople/we-3.pdf">
http://www.census.gov/apsd/wepeople/we-3.pdf</A> they quote neither define the "
proficiency level." you ask for. Maybe you should suggest the US Department
of Commerce Bureau of the Census to do a better job to fulfill your
expectation.

--part1_ad.2b2d9e5b.2b8c8639_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 2/24/2003 11:58:19 PM Pacific Stand=
ard Time, chrislit@crosswire.org writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">More or less correct, but it's=20=
not exactly clear whether they're counting, <BR>
for example, the 1/3 of Malaysians who can read Chinese in both their <BR>
Chinese and Bahasa Malaysia statistics (which they should, and it looks <BR>
like they may).&nbsp; And even so, it's not clear what they consider to be a=
 <BR>
"native speaker" in terms of proficiency level.<BR>
<BR>
--Chris<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
This is "estimation". And their estimation method have been publish in their=
 web site. You are welcome to find better research result. It is usually not=
 worthy to come out a very clear number anyway since those number obsolete e=
very 2-3 monthes. <BR>
<BR>
If you think you can do a better job than these marketing professional, you=20=
are welcome to write your own page. I simply trust their number after I look=
 at their source. <BR>
<BR>
I do believe the estimation may have error in it. It is estimation anyway. B=
ut how much and does those error matter. For example, if you look at<BR>
<A HREF=3D"http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/my.html">http:/=
/www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/my.html</A><BR>
<BR>
"Ethnic groups:<BR>
Malay and other indigenous 58%, Chinese 24%, Indian 8%, others 10% (2000)  =20=
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Languages:Bahasa Melayu (off=
icial), English, Chinese dialects (Cantonese,Mandarin, Hokkien, Hakka, Haina=
n, Foochow), Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Panjabi,Thai; note - in addition, in=20=
East Malaysia several indigenous languages arespoken, the largest of which a=
re Iban and Kadazan   "<BR>
<BR>
It does not say how many % of the Malaysian speak Chinese. But it does said=20=
24% of the population is Chinese. While 24% is not equal to 33% (1/3), peopl=
e may argue that there are more % of Chinese online than other Ethnic group=20=
in Malaysia (which is probably true). But so what, if it is % is 24% instead=
 of 33.33%? It will be 530K less than what it reported there.<BR>
<BR>
It looks like the "<A HREF=3D"http://www.census.gov/apsd/wepeople/we-3.pdf">=
the Census Bureau's report</A> " <A HREF=3D"http://www.census.gov/apsd/wepeo=
ple/we-3.pdf">http://www.census.gov/apsd/wepeople/we-3.pdf</A> they quote ne=
ither define the "</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=
 #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">proficienc=
y level." you ask for. Maybe you should suggest the US Department of Commerc=
e Bureau of the Census to do a better job to fulfill your expectation.<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_ad.2b2d9e5b.2b8c8639_boundary--