[sword-devel] Web Interface

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 01:38:20 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 YTang0648@aol.com wrote:

> You can look at your number from this angle, or you can look at this
> number from an ROI angle
>
> Which is Number of Dowload of that languages / Number of module that you
> offer in that langauage
>
> If you offer 10 moues in language A and 1 moudle in language B. And you
> got 100 download of lanuage A in total, and 20 download in language B in
> total. Then I will consider there are more people using language B than
> language A.

Acording to your formula and based on download numbers, relative
importance is:
English: 46%
Other Latin-script: 9%
Original language: 20%
Greek/Hebrew/Cyrillic: 15%
Arabic/Thai/Chinese/Tamil/Korean: 10%

They're skewed a bit by the large number of Latin-script texts we have,
including many that are fairly useless and never downloaded because no one
reads the languages they use.

> Also, you are totally confused about the "USER". You are caculating
> those users who DOWNLOAD the modules and will use it OFFLINE since they
> already down load them. You are not caculate those user who will use it
> online.

I was giving the more favorable, potential numbers.  In the case of people
using the web interface already in place:
95% English
4%  Original language
1%  other

Factors like English-language referers play into that I'm sure.  The site
you referenced unfortunately assumes everyone in the world is monolingual.

> or you can change those brower to support it. For example, Mozilla does
> not support Burmese, and I am making it support Burmese- see
> http://sila.mozdev.org

My comment on transliteration related more to using text-mode browsers
like lynx.

Graphite is unnecessary for any script used in any module that is
currently a part of Sword.

--Chris