[sword-devel] Web Interface

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:31:56 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 YTang0648@aol.com wrote:

> :( :( :( very very very western kind of thinking. Don't know how you come out
> that number. (90% and 98%). English user is less than 30% of the total
> Internet users these days. And Latin * charset users is < 70% of the Internet
> users these days. Does Bible said "God so loved the World" or does the Bible
> said "God so loved the western world". :{

Okay, my guestimates were off.  I ran statistics on our downloads in the
last 5 weeks 76% of downloads were of English modules, 17% were of other
Latin script modules, 4% were of original language modules, and 4% were of
modules using other scripts that text-mode unix can handle (Hebrew, Greek,
& Cyrillic), and the remaining 2% were of modules in other scripts
(Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Thai, & Tamil)

Modules in scripts unsupported by the browser can also be transliterated
to Latin pretty easily, but this is probably only useful for Greek &
Hebrew for those users who don't wish to configure text-mode support or
who want to use both simultaneously.  It's probably even preferrable in
many cases to transliterate since the average user who clicks on a
Strong's number isn't likely to know Greek or Hebrew.

--Chris