[sword-devel] Web Interface

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 04:18:04 EST

--part1_c1.2efc02b0.2b889a4c_boundary

In a message dated 2/21/2003 9:03:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,
chrislit@crosswire.org writes:

> In terms of underlying implementation, I would (not too surprisingly)
> suggest something similar to diatheke--that is, written in C.  It allows
> easy porting to different platforms and between CGI, ISAPI, and whatever
> else may lie out there.  I don't think the perl portion of diatheke is
> necessary anymore because it was primarily aimed at catching things with
> regexps that are now explicitly marked.

if you want to write in C, you need to deal a lot with memory allocation, but
the performance is definitely better.

If you use something like perl, it will be faster to change and you won't
need to worry too much about the memory allication. The garbage collation
help you a lot there.

I think the perl or php like will give you faster prototype speed with
reasonable peformance.

I still think the focus should be on the User Interface instead of underline
technology. As today, the lacking is a good user interface which is powerful
and rich. Most of the UI I saw on Bible web site is not powerful enough. For
example BibleGateway provide a lot of content but user interface is really 5
years old kind of technology.

--part1_c1.2efc02b0.2b889a4c_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 2/21/2003 9:03:54 PM Pacific Standa=
rd Time, chrislit@crosswire.org writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">In terms of underlying implemen=
tation, I would (not too surprisingly) <BR>
suggest something similar to diatheke--that is, written in C.&nbsp; It allow=
s <BR>
easy porting to different platforms and between CGI, ISAPI, and whatever <BR=

else may lie out there.&nbsp; I don't think the perl portion of diatheke is=20=
<BR>
necessary anymore because it was primarily aimed at catching things with <BR=

regexps that are now explicitly marked.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
if you want to write in C, you need to deal a lot with memory allocation, bu=
t the performance is definitely better. <BR>
<BR>
If you use something like perl, it will be faster to change and you won't ne=
ed to worry too much about the memory allication. The garbage collation help=
 you a lot there. <BR>
<BR>
I think the perl or php like will give you faster prototype speed with reaso=
nable peformance. <BR>
<BR>
I still think the focus should be on the User Interface instead of underline=
 technology. As today, the lacking is a good user interface which is powerfu=
l and rich. Most of the UI I saw on Bible web site is not powerful enough. F=
or example BibleGateway provide a lot of content but user interface is reall=
y 5 years old kind of technology. </FONT></HTML>

--part1_c1.2efc02b0.2b889a4c_boundary--