[sword-devel] Web Interface

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:18:13 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> I'd love to get input on what features you like/use from other sites,
> and what you would like a web interface to a Bible study tool to look like.

In terms of underlying implementation, I would (not too surprisingly)
suggest something similar to diatheke--that is, written in C.  It allows
easy porting to different platforms and between CGI, ISAPI, and whatever
else may lie out there.  I don't think the perl portion of diatheke is
necessary anymore because it was primarily aimed at catching things with
regexps that are now explicitly marked.

I think I would also recommend going with OSIS output + server-side XSLT.

> Please consider GenBook support, as well.  What would a general book
> reader look like for the web?

I also think the interface across different types of books should be
consistent, where reasonable.  I would suggest doing something truly
uninspired like a left-frame menu with a contextually relevent table of
contents (showing the parents, siblings, and children of a given node) but
not using frames, of course, because they're evil.  This is my plan for
diatheke as soon as libsword compiles again and a few more OSIS filters
get finished.

--Chris