[sword-devel] LcdBible and BerBible recruitment [was Bereans and Sword ... uncle]

Lynn Allan sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:05:49 -0700

[sword-devel] Bereans and Sword and GPL vs PD>> IANAL either, but...

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your very helpful feedback. Not only was it very informative
about GPL issues, but I consider it a great example of a gentle, wise
Biblical rebuke, including those things said, and those thing not said.

And hope you don't mind one in return (because I did the same thing :-) ...
it works better to use the "plain text" setting on your eMailer when
submitting to sword-devel :-)
http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/2003-December/019851.html

I haven't noticed your participation on sword-devel lately, but I'm a newbie
and you may not have had things to say. Or busy with other things. Consider
yourself invited to pitch in regardless. There a *ton* of things to do
around here, and I could certainly use some major or minor help with several
things I'm working on.

*Welcome*. *Glad* *You* *Are* *Here* (TWiki for emphasized "Welcome, glad
you are here." :-)

The SWORD Project has several tasks where a person with the right skills can
be used mightily by God to make a significant contribution to His kingdom
within a day or so. Really. Got VB skills and some time? Talk to Troy G.
about:
Supporting missionaries preparing God's Word to get His message of salvation
through His Son to a lost and dying world:
http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/2003-November/019741.html

Another example (certainly less dramatic) is the unofficial LcdBible
project. It is intentionally scoped to provide "training wheels" for newbies
and building community among fellow servants of our Savior.
http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/lcdbible/LcdBibleReqDesign.doc

<excerpt from above: ver 0.9 beta *very* bare bones and on schedule for
release by Dec 24, 2003. Help needed desperately. >
Tentative Requirements Document for ver 1.1
* Delivered by COB, July 4, 2004 <currently ahead of schedule ... maybe by
Easter, 2004?>
* Newbie friendly community:
  - Developer user manual drafted (twiki?)
  - User manual drafted
  - Installation manual drafted
  - Tutorial drafted with no more and no less than 12 steps

* "Programming for Dummies 101" coding standards. Clarity over cleverness
not just an "if you feel like it" expectation.
  - NO cascading function calls.
  - Step into debugging facilitated.
  - NO if (count = GetInfo() > 0) { do something }

* Two person team programming encouraged, if possible / applicable.

* Objective: newbies equipped per Eph 4:11-14 to participate in the "show"
(swordwin and/or sword-api)

* Weekly releases that compile, link, and at least launch
   - It will embrace XP development. Ver 1.1 will require:
  - Weekly releases expected to have doxygen 1.3.x or later documentation.
  - Weekly releases of gui logic expected to have Visual Test 4.0a scripts
to demonstrate functionality and ability to pass regression suite
  - Weekly releases of non-gui logic expected to have cppunit 'scaffolding'
to demonstrate functionality and ability to pass regression suite
  - If other people actually join in, proceed as two person programming
teams.

BerBible is an open source derivative of LcdBible which could also use help.
The names stands for "The Noble Berean Bible freeware project". It is in the
planning stage, but generally has the goal of supplying the most useful
software features in the smallest, fastest, simplest subset of BibleCS. It
will also target an audience that is primarily interested in inspired Bible
texts and less interested in uninspired commentaries.

Acts 17:10-11 KJV
10 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto
Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.
11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received
the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily,
whether those things were so.

Sharing the reason for the season,
http://learningcards.eeworks.org/EeCard01.html

Lynn A.