[sword-devel] Bereans and Sword and GPL vs PD

Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:04:29 -0700

At 06:24 PM 12/14/2003, Rev. Michael Paul Johnson wrote:

>I stand corrected. A commercial project may not be derived from or link to
>GPL code and still be a commercial project, but it may use separate (not
>linked) GPL components.

I think you are confusing "commercial" and "proprietary."  GPL is not about
preventing people from making money with it. GPL is about keeping software
"free" so people are, among other things, free to sell it and free to give
it away. I can sell you, or give you, a copy of my GPL work and you then
are free to also sell copies or give copies away, and I can't stop you from
doing either. On the other hand, whether I give or sell you a copy of my
proprietary work you may not be free to sell or give away copies of it. If
I am going to sell you my GPL work I better give you a good price and or
good reasons to pay for it, or you will find someone else I sold it to and
just get it from him. GPL therefor tends to keep prices down, but does not
require that there be no charge.

Jerry