[sword-devel] Bereans and Sword and GPL vs PD [uncle ... LcdBible is now GPL licensed]

Lynn Allan sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:53:32 -0700

[sword-devel] Bereans and Sword and GPL vs PDMartin G. wrote:
>> even though your program is not a Sword-frontend (correct me if I'm
wrong),
>> you are required to release it under the GPL since you copied source code
>> from Sword (e.g. rawverse.cpp) and mention crosswire as the copyright
holder
>> of that code.

The LcdBible software is now licensed as GPL on sourceforge.net.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcdbible

I believe it was *almost* eligible to be a "Sword-frontend" because it uses
the sword-api to access verses from ./sword/modules/texts/rawtext/*.*
(actually an "experimental plug-in subset" that I am optimistic will be
accepted for CVS as supported class CanonVersifier)

I believe its GPL license now makes it eligible to apply for being a
"Sword-frontend".

I am not clear what it means to "mention crosswire as the copyright holder".
I would appreciate clarification. What rights, if any, do I retain? What
rights, if any, do I forfeit?

Sharing the reason for the season,
http://learningcards.eeworks.org/EeCard01.html

Lynn A.