[sword-devel] Bereans and Sword and GPL vs PD

Lynn Allan sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 04:44:02 -0700

<Please ignore if you have already had more than enough questions from this
scribbler re GPL ... PLEASE. Step.Away.From.The.Keyboard ...
There.Is.Nothing.Here.To.See :-)>

Before the scars of the recent GPL thread have faded from memory, it would
perhaps be appropriate to discuss the underlying issue.

>From a Biblical perspective, what is the appropriate license(s) for The
SWORD Project and/or The CrossWire Bible Society? What verses would the
Bereans have found in their noble examination of the Scriptures?

Here are the passages that I am aware that seem to directly bear on their
examination:
* Acts 17:11 (noble Bereans examined the Scriptures)
* Matt 10:8b (freely received, freely give)
* Phil 1:18 (what does it matter ... Christ is proclaimed)

The verses with context are further below.

Inquiring (newbie) minds want to know?
* Are there other verses that apply?
* What is the application of these verses?
* What options are Biblically noble?
* What are the pros and cons of the options?
* What are the concrete consequences of the options?
* How does Sword "past practice" apply? Previous discussions?
* Are there ways that the current Sword license can be adjusted?
* What about restricted ./modules/texts?

To me, it seems clear that something very close to Public Domain is
obviously preferred. I state this as a relatively new Christian with less
than 100 hours "invested" in sword contributions. From the perspective of
what would be most advantegeous to the LcdBible and the InVerse Scripture
memorization freeware, I have a vested interest in a sword license that:
* allows free, unrestricted, and ethical access to PD and freeware
./modules/texts
* allows restricted and ethical access to restricted ./modules/texts
* using sword-api or not using sword-api.

Acts 17:10-11 WEB
10 The brothers immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Beroea.
When they arrived, they went into the Jewish synagogue.
11 Now these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they
received the word with all readiness of the mind, examining the Scriptures
daily to see whether these things were so.

Matt 10:6-10 WEB
6 Rather, go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
7 As you go, preach, saying, 'The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!'
8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, and cast out demons. Freely you
received, so freely give.
9 Don't take any gold, nor silver, nor brass in your money belts.
10 Take no bag for your journey, neither two coats, nor shoes, nor staff:
for the laborer is worthy of his food.

Philippians 1:12-18
12 Now I desire to have you know, brothers, that the things which happened
to me have turned out rather to the progress of the gospel;
13 so that it became evident to the whole praetorian guard, and to all the
rest, that my bonds are in Christ;
14 and that most of the brothers in the Lord, being confident through my
bonds, are more abundantly bold to speak the word of God without fear.
15 Some indeed preach Christ even out of envy and strife, and some also out
of good will.
16 The former insincerly preach Christ from selfish ambition, thinking that
they add affliction to my chains;
17 but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense
of the gospel.
18 What does it matter? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in
truth, Christ is proclaimed. I rejoice in this, yes, and will rejoice.