[sword-devel] New Windows SWORD GUI / a design

Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:36:21 -0700

Simon,
	I'm really encouraged by your enthusiasm, but would really like for you
to cooperate in development with us.  I'm not sure if you know this or
not, but your diagram could have names changes and be the SWORD engine.
  We have backend 'drivers' that read different file formats, a library
of 'filters' that convert tags between different markups, and allow the
engine client to specify which markup they would like, and the necessary
filters are automatically applied to do the work.

	The only difference, is that we didn't write a 'driver' to read flat
OSIS files, not because it wouldn't be an easy plugin to the engine, but
because of a number of other conscious decision defended in an email a
few weeks back (about half-way down regarding XML +/-):

http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/2003-November/019642.html

	We've even planned for some time to use OSIS as an intermediate markup,
like you describe below (currently, the route is src->dest but would
like it to be src->OSIS->dest, possibly: we're still hoping to do a
proof of principle to see the speed impact and repercussions).

	We could sure use your help.  Please consider joining together with us
in this work.

	In Christ,
		-Troy.

PS.  Blessings on your paper!
PPS. OSIS 1.1.1 docs are available here:
http://bibletechnologieswg.org/osis/docs/