[sword-devel] Still more about licencing

Lynn Allan sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:06:19 -0700

Thanks Tom Pollard for the link.

>      Frequently Asked Questions about the GNU GPL
>      <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html>

Live several others on this list, I am a freeware developer trying to
participate in The SWORD Project's software development. When I first
encountered this licensing issue, I hunted around the gnu website quite a
while to learn more. I made several visits to the link noted above, and each
time hoped there was an "EasyEnglish" version :-)

Frankly, I was unable to decipher what the above FAQ link actually said with
regards to the situations facing The SWORD Project. After about an hour, I
reached for the Excedrin. As an "old newbie" making plans for my upcoming
35th high school reunion, I suppose fresher, less calcified minds would have
a longer attention span and not get as disoriented as I was.

I have heard there was a gnu-legal SIG, but never did not find a URL to
explain how to get there, if it in fact exists. My impression is that if
people sent in questions, they would receive the same
conflicting/contradictory guidance we are experiencing here.

<alert ... following lame humor only relevant to baby boomers>
We now turn to our expert panelists.
Miss Kittie Carlisle, what questions do you have for the GPL experts?
... some time later ...
And now the moment our "To Tell The Truth" watchers have been waiting
for!!!!!
Will the *real* GPL expert please stand up? Who is the *real* Richard
Stallman?
<alert concluded>

Sharing the reason for the season,
http://learningcards.eeworks.org/EeCard01.html