[sword-devel] New Windows SWORD GUI

Ka-shu Wong sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:55:49 +1100

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 12:17:34AM +0100, Simon Lagendijk wrote:
> * Is it possible to release parts of the code that are independant from
> GPL code, but are in a program that makes use of GPL code, under LGPL?
> The reason I ask is because I want to release some parts of the bible
> tool I'm working on as LGPL (mainly the code to read/search OSIS and
> ThML files, which is code that is totally independant from the Sword
> Engine).

As I understand it, you have to release the entire program under the
GPL.  But there is nothing to stop you from releasing your original code
under an alternative license such as the LGPL.

> * Does the author of some code has the right to use the same
> (self-written) code in both a GPL and a commercial project?

Yes, definitely.  You have the right to do whatever you want with your
own code.  You have to be careful that it is indeed all your own code,
though.  Patches and things like that make it complicated!

QT is an example of dual-licensed code.  It is released under the GPL
but Trolltech also sells a commercial license for it.  You might want to
check out how they do things.

IANAL, so please take what I say with a grain of salt :)

- KS