[sword-devel] LcdBible alpha 0.60a prototype available

Lynn Allan sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 16:29:55 -0700

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the feedback.
WEB 23Joy comes to a man with the reply of his mouth.
How good is a word at the right time!

LcdBible actually *does* use the sword-api: an "experimental" subset of
VerseKey and RawVerse to get verses. This has been discussed with Troy G.in
a series of offline eMails. I won't put words in his mouth and say he
"endorses" the specific subset I'm working with, however. With judious use
of
#define SWORD_PLUGIN_SUBSET
in several existing ./src and ./include files, it will *not* have a problem
with changes to data formats if sword modules change. LcdBible would be
quite a bit simpler if it just did raw lseek's and raw read's of the nt.vss
and nt data files, but that would present the problem you describe. (Leaving
aside some filtering issues for the moment. Also, LcdBible's "Search for
Phrase" is based on simplified RawText logic.)

The very crude 0.01c POC (Proof Of Concept) prototype demonstated (as least
to  me) that the "CanonVersifier" logic can get verses from
./modules/texts/rawtext. With it's orientation to
children/missionaries/non-techies, it does not use "parsing" to decide what
chapter the end-user wants to see. The 0.60a CTreeCtrl is the only "widget",
and it is thus not possible to specify an invalid chapter (if the software
does its part.) Also, this class is designed to be a possible parent class
for VerseKey, or a class that VerseKey contains in a "has-a" relationship.

My hope is to persuade the maintainers of The SWORD Project to allow
LcdBible to "piggy-back" with the Starter-Set. Eventually, I hope to request
a "smart" download page that can put together a specific "payload" of
LcdBible + text (such as Spanish, or OT+NT, or Dutch, etc.)

>> I can only comment on the "frontend" issue, since I am no license expert.

I'll check with Chris Little and gnu-legal. I would almost prefer to release
LcdBible as public domain than GPL (to avoid GPL-virus issues), but will
comply with The SWORD Project's expectations. Is it possible to release
LcdBible as "dual license"? Also, my impression is that I have the option of
retaining copyright rather than relinquishing copyright to CrossWire.

Sharing the reason for the season,
http://learningcards.eeworks.org/EeCard01.html
Lynn
l.allan@att.net