[sword-devel] New Windows SWORD GUI

Simon Lagendijk sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 07 Dec 2003 00:19:43 +0100

Hi all,

A friend an I have the idea of making a new Bible tool, mainly aimed at
Windows users, because for Linux there are 2 nice Sword-based tools
available. We want to the program to run on at least Windows and Linux.
The code will be released under the GNU licence (or another OpenSource
licence, I don't know the differences between all those licences for
OpenSource software, so I'd have to figure out that first, before
choosing one).

Are there any design-diagrams of Sword available, I mean Data Flow
Diagrams or UML or something like that? That maybe would save us some
time in the design phase...

I don't know if the auhors of Sword for Windows, BibleTime and
GnomeSword are reading this, but if they do: Do you mind if we use some
idea's of your GUI for our program (I'm not very good at designing User
Interfaces)?

Is it possible to compile the Sword Engine in a DLL?

We are searching for some OpenSource software development tools. I think
the most likely to use are the GNU C++ Compiler (MinGW) with the
wxWindows framework, but I haven't worked with wxWindows before, so
please can someone tell us if it can easely be used for the task we want
(i.e. creating a professional looking, multiplatform GUI)?

We also want to support OSIS documents (not only Sword-modules
containing OSIS markup, but real OSIS documents). Is OSIS 2.0, as
described on http://www.bibletechnologies.net/, the latest version? Will
future releases of the OSIS specification be backwards compatible?

Some other features that are on our wishlist for the new program are:
- Exporters (PDF/RTF/PlainText)
- Online updating of document library (just like Sword for Windows),
supporting Sword modules, OSIS documents, and TheoDoc sources
- Possibility to run from CD, without any installing needed

If you have any ideas, suggestions, comments, etc, please let us know!

In Christ,

Simon

PS> I have dropped the OSISEditor project I was working on. I tried to
use the RichTextBox as an OSIS edit component, but I didn't get it to do
what I wanted it to do...