[sword-devel] HowTo: resurrect twiki as viable collaborative tool

Lynn Allan sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:39:24 -0700

Fellow sword-devils,

IMHO, we are not taking advantage of several of the collaborative tools that
TSP's P-T-B have made available for our use. One that comes to mind is
"twiki". For whatever reason, it seems to have fallen out of use. That's a
shame, as it has the potential to really add to TSP's community, in many
ways, and on many levels. (Besides, several of our co-developers put in a
*huge amount of time* getting this setup and making it available.)

I would encourage people to try to answer sword-devel and sword-support
questions by references to the applicable twiki page. If the answer seems of
general interest but isn't answered (yet) by twiki, then *WRITE UP A TWIKI
PAGE* (see http://www.crosswire.org/ucgi-bin/twiki/view/Faq/FaqEdit ) It is
a *Whole Lot Easier* that you would believe. If you have the experience and
confidence and expertise to respond to an e-mail, you *CAN* prepare a twiki
page.

Three examples of commonly asked questions to illustrate how to respond by
using twiki:

>>> How much does sword cost after the evaluation expires?
> Please see http://www.crosswire.org/ucgi-bin/twiki/view/Faq/SwordCost If
you have further questions after viewing this page, please do not hesitate
to ask.

http://www.crosswire.org/ucgi-bin/twiki/view/Faq/AcronymDictionary If you

http://www.crosswire.org/ucgi-bin/twiki/view/Swordwin/GettingStarted If you
have further questions after viewing this page, please do not hesitate to
ask.

Beginning to see a pattern?

Actually, there wasn't a twiki page for the second question about TSP or
PTB. Since I wanted to know how to do this, I referred to:
http://www.crosswire.org/ucgi-bin/twiki/view/Faq/FaqEdit
and then prepared:
http://www.crosswire.org/ucgi-bin/twiki/view/Faq/AcronymDictionary

It was actually kind of fun. Highly Recommended! There are times when you
can encounter and solve a problem in the same hour. Writing a twiki page to
answer a newbie's question is one of those.

My 2 alt-155,
Lynn, aka the windozer