[sword-devel] Myanmar Bible Translation

Frank Yung-Fong Tang sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 14:31:41 -0800

Adrian Korten wrote:

 > Good day,
 >
 > Here's a bit of a cautionary note from an experiential viewpoint rather
 > than as a programmer on this project. At this point, I don't think that
 > the Myanmar language script has been accepted in Unicode yet

Myanmar script is in Unicode for a long time. It is added to Unicode 3.0
as early as 2000.

 > (or at
 > least Microsoft doesn't have support yet).

Microsoft does not support many scirpts in Unicode, not just Myanmar.
For example, Oriya, Malayalam, Tibetan are defined in Unicode 2.0 way
back 1996. And Microsoft have not implement them yet.

 > That is why the sil project
 > will be helpful. The current version of Sword for Windows uses an RTF
 > control that may not display Myanmar characters well. I've been finding
 > that Unicode support for this part of the world is not good. That is why
 > an updated version of Sword may be needed to fulfill this dream.
 >
 > ak

Frank Yung-Fong Tang
Šýštém Årçhîtéçt, Iñtërnâtiônàl Dèvélôpmeñt, AOL Intèrâçtívë Sërviçes
AIM:yungfongta   mailto:ytang0648@aol.com Tel:650-937-2913
Yahoo! Msg: frankyungfongtan