[sword-devel] Error in Barnes Notes?

Stephen Denne sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:04:35 +1200

>     I was working tonight in Sword preparing a sermon and found the
> following apparant error in the Barnes module:
>     At Acts 18:2, Barnes shows links to the following verses:
>     Ro 16:3; 2 Tim 4:19; 1 Cor 16:19.

The verses are seperated by commas, not semi-colons.
Rom 16:3, 2Ti 4:19, 1Cor 16:19

>     When you hover over them to see the text of the verses, you get the
> following references peresented, following the same previous order:
>     Ro 16:3; 2 Tim 16:4; 1 Cor 8:16
>     When you acutally look at the text of these misreferences, you find
> them actually pointing to the following verses:
>     Ro 16:3; Heb 8:4; 1 Cor 9:3.
> To sum in a chart below, the first column is what is referenced in the
> module, the second, what is presented as reference to popup, and the
> third, the actual text of the reference.
>
> Romans 16:3 -> Ro 16:3 -> Ro 16:3
> 2 Tim 4:19 -> 2 Tim 16:4 -> Heb 8:4
> 1 Cor 16:19 -> 1 Cor 8:16 -> 1 Cor 9:3
>
> Jason Brooks

The parser understands commas to be used when seperating verses within the
same chapter.
(That was the important bit... "within the same chapter")

So it parses Romans 16:3 correctly,
Then changes books to 2 Timothy,
Then it is taking the 4 of 2Tim 4:19 as verse 4 in the same chapter, chapter
16 that it had for Romans.
It is ignoring the :19, as it doesn't make sence after 2 Tim 16:4
2 Tim 16:4 gets translated to Hebrews 8:4
Chapter 4 in 2 Timothy = 2Tim 4, the last chapter in 2 Tim
Chapters 5 to 7 go to Titus chapters 1,2,3,
Chapter 8 goes to Philemon 1,
Chapters 9 on map to Hebrews 1 on,
So Chapter 16 of 2 Tim is Hebrews 8
Then the verse parser (which is usp to 1Cor 16:19) changes books to 1
Corinthians
Then it changes verse number to 16, keeping the chapter number 8 from
Hebrews 8
Then it ignores the :19
So you get 1 Corinthians 8:16
1 Corinthians 8 only contains 13 verses, so that translates to 3 verses into
the next chapter:
1 Corinthians 9:3

Lots of other examples
eg in Barnes for Acts 18:23
Acts 14:22, 15:32,41

translates to
Acts 14:22
Acts 14:15
:32 ignored
Acts 14:41 = Acts 15:13

There are a couple of solutions:
Make the parser smarter
Reformat the texts to contain verse lists that the parser understands
correctly.

Stephen Denne.
--
Datacute - Acute Information Revelation Tools
http://www.datacute.co.nz/