[sword-devel] Evidence Bible - was An awesome Bible

Dave Washburn sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:47:53 -0600

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 13:41, Andrej Ricnik wrote:
> >Hi there ........
> >
> >that way.  In the face of that kind of translation,I'd go for CEV or
> >GodsWord anytime!  New Testament Greek was ordinary colloquial language
> >after all.
>
> If you put colloquial in the sense of someone who doesnt speak
> this tongue as his native tongue and transfers idioms from Hebrew
> (or Aramaic) to Greek violating Greek grammar, yes :}

Not really.  Most folks in Palestine were bilingual, some better than others,
but Greek was the trade language that they pretty much had to use to
communicate with the Romans (can you imagine Pilate stooping to learn
Aramaic?  Yo creo que no!), and Paul was raised in Tarsus where he would have
grown up hearing Greek more than Aramaic or Hebrew.  Luke was a Gentile and
so Greek was probably his native tongue.  The only NT writer who really seems
to have major trouble with Greek grammar is John in Revelation.  That said, I
think the above writer meant "colloquial" as opposed to Attic, which is in
fact true of NT Greek.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur