[sword-devel] Interested in? Graphics

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:37:54 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Victor Porton wrote:

> IMO, it should be done by porting Xpdf code to non-X11 systems. (We can
> port Xpdf's engine to Windows etc. and then use it as rendering engine. By
> the way we can make Xpdf port which is a useful deal by itself.)

Porting Xpdf is an extremely difficult and complex task.  I agree it would
be a very nice project to complete and beneficial to a lot of people, but
it's not useful to Sword.  Displaying PDFs is complete overkill (not to
mention slower and requiring far more resources than necessary) if image
display is our objective.

JPEG, PNG, and SVG work just fine and are well-established parts of HTML
browsers.

--Chris