permission refusals (was: [sword-devel] The Message)

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 20:42:35 -0700 (MST)

I don't know the specific circumstances of many of the requests, but there
are many reasons why we might receive a refusal, including:

Requests to give texts away that the publishers still want to sell (we
are, of course, open to publishers selling texts, but not all requests may
state this, especially unofficial inquiries).

Exclusive contracts with other software publishers or plans to market
their own software bundles.

Uncertainty about our protection scheme (Troy & I talked about this a
couple days ago and he convinced me that cracking our protection is quite
intractable--so that's not a valid criticism).

Our insignificant market share (bad argument; growing badder daily).

These are some of the most obvious, off the top of my head.  Honestly, I
wouldn't worry too much about the failures and the refusals.  I think we
have roughly the third greatest number of texts available in a Bible
software package, after STEP and Logos.  We're starting to see some
interest from publishers in selling texts & Sword itself, and after the
first few early adopters, I believe we will see others follow.

--Chris