[sword-devel] reversed BHS

Christian Renz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 23:53:09 +0200

>I'm not sure how creating a text that is written in its original direction
>violates the standard, but I don't know much about Unicode either so that
>doesn't say much.

I'm not a Unicode wise-guy, but here's my take on this: There is no
"left" or "right" in a file. There is just a first character, then a
second one, etc. until the last one.

Displaying left-to-right or right-to-left is purely a presentation
issue. If you put a Unicode-encoded Hebrew text in a file, it is from
beginning to end -- just like English or Chinese texts. The renderer
then takes care (using the BiDi-functions) that the display is
correct.

What you would be suggesting is to probably break up the text into the
lines and store them "in its original direction". Chris is rightly
reacting somewhat allergic to that, since it is going to bring about
lots of problems. It is probably easier to just fix the software.

Greetings,
   Christian

--
crenz@web42.com - http://www.web42.com/crenz/ - http://www.web42.com/

"It's so much easier to pray for a bore than to go and see one."  -- C.S. Lewis