[sword-devel] wxWindows Sword Viewer

Jason Turner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 00:01:06 -0700

Hi everyone, I wanted to update you on the status of the wxWindows sword
viewer that I have been working on.

The project is hosted on sourceforge at
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/christiangame

It can be got by cvs with:
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/christiangame login
 cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/christiangame co
biblestudy-current

I'm using an old project of mine that never went anywhere, that is why the
project name is "christiangame".

The look and feel that I was aiming for was that of a web browser, allowing
for multiple windows, and multiple tabs within each window. The only
difference being that I am allowing each window to be split into up to four
frames, each containing tabs. I have all of the main functionality for tabs
working including detaching tabs, adding, deleting and duplicating.

A screen shot is available here (gtk2):

http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/christiangame/biblestudy1.jpg

The goal that I stated earlier was to make a windows version nice enough that
it might even encourage a non-christian to read the bible. I'm adding to that
the goal of making 3 seperate ISO images one in the ~50MB credit-card size,
(if you haven't seen credit card cd's, here is some info:
http://www.memorex.com/products/category_display.php?cid=10) one in the
~210MB 8CM size and a ~700MB full size. Each with selected modules installed
that can be run directly from CD. With the goal being that CD's can be used
as witnessing tools and distributed freely, perhaps even one day put beside
the AOL cd's at your local gocery store.

The goal of using them as witnessing tools leads me to the next goal of having
some way to provide the user with a "Bible Study" a selection of verses with
associated comments that can be used to guide the user through some verses.
Specifically I see this being used in the "run from cd" mode to lead the
recepient of the CD through verses on salvation. Perhaps ending with
"1-800-NEED-HIM" or some similar resource.

What needs to be done?

I'm horrible at making icons and to give this a polished look there will be a
need for some good ones. Currently it is only tested on GCC-Linux-GTK2, and
needs to look good on Windows. None of the "Bible Study" functionality has
been started. Code is as yet undocumented :). Only VerseKey and
Module->SetKey() based lookups work right now, so general books cannot be
read at all and daily devotionals are kind of a kludge, knowing that you have
to enter, i.e. "01.25". Personally, with the vision that I have in mind I see
appearance as a bigger concern than the technical features, so automatically
looking up strongs references, for example, would come later.

Anyhow, I'll stop rambling now.

I have a real desire to see this completed and will be spending a lot of time
on it, anyone who is interested please join in. I suggest that any
development discussion about this new project take place on sourceforge. I'll
set up a mailing list if need be.

Thanks,
Jason Turner