[sword-devel] Here's Our Chance: Copyright Negotations

Sun, 29 Sep 2002 09:36:33 -0700

David,
	While there is nothing from preventing you from doing this under the
terms of the GPL.  I personally have goals for the project that would
lean against it.

	I would like CrossWire to form partnerships with copyright holders and
Bible Societies that allow them to use our software in their ministry.

	With the recent release of the OSIS specification, my hope is for SWORD
to become the premier OSIS Bible reader, freely available for these
organizations to recommend or distribute themselves.

	With the sponsorship of the Amercan Bible Society, and Society for
Biblical Literature, I'm sure there will be a huge library of OSIS
encoded texts soon available, sold either by these organizations,
themselves, or in bundle packs from other software distributors.

	We currently have export tools that allow most of our library to be
exported as an OSIS text.

	ABS has already asked us if we would be willing to encode their CEV
text in OSIS for them.

	I hope this gives a little more insight into my hopes regarding this
issue.  Thank you for your willingness to help.

		-Troy.

PS.  An update with regard to the Afrikaans Bible Society:  They already
have the facilities to accept orders online, themselves, and have no
problems working within our current policy.  In fact, I just received an
Afrikaans locale file today!