[sword-devel] SIL Ezra fonts

Joel Mawhorter sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 22:49:51 -0700

On September 27, 2002 20:33, Chris Little wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Joel Mawhorter wrote:
> > Are there any encodings that we currently use besides UTF-8 (given that
> > UTF-8 is a superset of ISO-8859-1)?
>
> We use Codepage 1252, which is really the default whenever Encoding=UTF-8
> is not specified.  Unicode is a superset of ISO-8859-1, but UTF-8 isn't
> technically.  And Codepage 1252 is a superset of ISO-8859-1 I believe.
> There are only a handful of differeces between them at least.

Why use a Windows specific encoding for a cross-platform library?

I don't think Codepage 1252 could be a superset of ISO-8859-1; aren't they
both one byte encodings? Maybe just really close? Do we use anything above
0x7f in Codepage 1252? I assume all the european stuff is up there.

What about Hebrew and Greek? Do we use UTF-8 for that?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to figure out what needs to be
dealt with for the searching stuff.

Thanks,

Joel