[sword-devel] SIL Ezra fonts

Joel Mawhorter sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:11:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Chris Little wrote:

> SIL also released a new version of a nice transcoding utility to convert
> between different character encodings, which those of you venturing into
> module making might find useful.  See: http://www.sil.org/nrsi/teckit/

ICU also has support for converting between Unicode and many many legacy
encodings. Since Sword already has some dependencies on ICU perhaps this
would be a better tool to use first. The only problem I see with using ICU
for conversion is if you want to convert from encoding a to encoding b
where neither a nor b are Unicode. In that case you have to do a ->
Unicode -> b, which may not give the same results as a -> b for some
encoding schemes. However, it looks like TCECkit has the same limitation.

Joel