[sword-devel] verse numbering schemes (was: RC4 BUG!)

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 01:38:09 -0700

At 10:01 PM 9/12/2002 -0700, Joel Mawhorter wrote:
>There is no reason to allow users to apply different versifications
>to the same module since it would have no real meaning and be very confusing.
>Likewise, the current method of forcing all modules into the KJV
>versification scheme is a serious limititation since printed copies of some
>translations differ from what is in Sword. This could also be confusing to

It would be good for translations to work with the versification schemes
given by the translators. But, there are time it is nice to force a
translation to work with another versification scheme. Using a commentary
that has Bible references does not work well if the Bible translation you
want to use with it can only use a different scheme. Also, comparing
translations is better if you can force them to use the same scheme. And,
if I know where a verse is in one scheme, it is nice to be able to use that
scheme with any translation to look it up. But, it should be clear when a
translation's native scheme is not being used so one does not add to
confusion by citing a verse with one scheme when people would expect it in
a different scheme.