[sword-devel] Is sword going non-gpl or proprietory?

Glenn Reed sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 16:29:05 +1200

Hi,

Thanks for clearing that up for me.  Well making it a little clearer anyway.

> Well, first, there are no plans to license as anything other than GPL.
> Second, there has never been any suggestion that we go to any license that
> is not open-source except by those who see this as a way of convincing
> copyright holders that Sword is secure.

You mention that there are some that suggest closed source as a means of
getting the copyright holders on board.  Has this line been suggested by some
of the bible societies or by members of sword who have speculated that the
attitude of bible societies might change "if ...... " ?

If access to the source code is guaranteed then I guess this is a non-issue.
I would hate to see this project hijacked by commercial interests.

What does surprise me is the "apparent" attitude of the bible societies
towards this project.  At least from the (very) short time I have been
following the issues surrounding this.  It seems that certain copyright
modules are locked but more to the point that there is no way to purchase the
keys for these locked modules??  That there is this great distrust between
the bible societies and sword.  To put it bluntly I am astonished that the
bible societies want to put a stumbling block towards the spreading of the
gospel.  Does anyone know how long active lobbying of the bible societies has
been happening?  And why it seems that so few of them have been willing to
alter thier positiion???

And perhaps as a corollary to the above issue, how will I as a developer get
access to the locked modules.  Also will any translation I contribute to
sword, such as CLV, simply disappear into a void?

Glenn Reed.

On Monday 09 September 2002 04:13 pm, you wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Glenn Reed wrote:
> > I read this from the mailing list.

> > My feeling is that the great advantage of sword is that it is GPL.  If it
> > ever went closed source (perhaps due to pressure from certain bible
> > societies??) I would be forced to pursue other options :(

<snip>