[sword-devel] Comming soon: new improved sword searching

Joel Mawhorter sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 08 Sep 2002 10:12:40 -0700

On September 8, 2002 00:36, porton@narod.ru wrote:
> Very please also make possibility to search in Bible paragraphs instead of
> Bible verses.

This is a much bigger issue than you may realize. I think fundamental changes
to Sword would be necessary to support this. Fortunately, sword has a fairly
flexible key mechanism for indexing into texts so this would be a possible
change or addition in the future. However, this is not a decission for me to
make. Perhaps Troy can comment on this.

> This is because verses are introduced by people and are just arbitrary, but
> splitting Bible in paragraphs (at least in the correct manuscripts) is
> inspired by Holy Spirit! So borders of paragraphs is a very important
> matter (otherwise God wouldn't split Bible into paragraphs at all to reduce
> sizes and weights of the rolls).

Verses are arbitrary and man made but they are a useful tool and they are the
mechanism that everybody who uses the Bible is used to so I would rather
stick with this. One of the features I mentioned in my first email is a
proximity and operator. This would allow searching within a certain, user
specified, number of verses. Here is the example I gave:

"For example, ("lamb of God", Jesus, "take away", sins @3) will find all
combinations of verses within 3 of each other that have all the search terms
in them."

Useing something like @20 (within 20 verses) would allow very rough
approximation of what you are suggesting.

Joel