[sword-devel] Comming soon: new improved sword searching

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 08 Sep 2002 23:00:15 +0600

> On Sun, 8 Sep 2002 porton@narod.ru wrote:
>
> > This is because verses are introduced by people and are just arbitrary, but
> > splitting Bible in paragraphs (at least in the correct manuscripts) is
> > inspired by Holy Spirit! So borders of paragraphs is a very important matter
> > (otherwise God wouldn't split Bible into paragraphs at all to reduce sizes and
> > weights of the rolls).
> >
> > Paragraph consists of several verses.
>
> This is somewhat impractical as we do not store paragraph information
> except in the text itself if at all.  A great number of our Bibles do not
> indicate any kind of paragraph division. Furthermore I've never heard
> anyone suggest that paragraph divisions were inspired.  I would certainly
> never consider them as such.

This isn't impractical because I speak _only_ about the paragraphs in the
original manuscripts, not these in translations. We can have _one_ file
describing the splitting to paragraphs for all versions. Some day I should
find time to create such the file.

Chris, it seems that you just never has seen a roll (ancient manuscript) of
Hebrew Bible. To ones who does not know: Tanakh's (Hebrew OT) rolls are
written with a very special font. Some letters have strange additional marks;
some letters are wider than other letters (e.g. sometime the Hebrew letter Tav
is common (i.e. thin), but sometimes the same letter Tav is widened almost to
the entire page width); some letters are smaller than others. These are
inspired (IMO, more wide letters means more important fragments of Bible);
some neighbor letters in a word touch each other, some don't touch. Moses & K
have written these letters so. There are also spaces, more wide than common
spaces, these marks paragraphs; they are inspired.

Go to any synagogue and ask them to show you a Tanakh roll (or a photocopy
"with wide letters")! Seeing the Holy Text even if not understanding the
sense, makes heart lightened! No need to hear, just look!

> > P.S. In Sword's different Bible versions splitting Bible into paragraphs
> > is different. It is a bug. We need found which splitting of Hebrew/Greek
> > original is correct and resplit wrongly splitted versions.
>
> It is not a bug.  This will not change.
>
> We don't go about changing texts because we think they ought to be some
> way other than how their authors created them.  Variations in our data
> consist of unintentional errors and limitations imposed by the engine at
> the time they were created.  What you're suggesting is intentional
> tampering with others' work.  Not only do I take offense at this notion
> and consider it immoral to pass off a text as something other than what it
> is, but I don't think there exists a copyright holder in the world who
> would look upon us favorably if he knew we did such things.

Well, yes. We don't need to modify the modules themselves. Just the DISPLAY
ENGINE should have the option to split accordingly the above mentioned file
which will contain the true splitting copyrighted by Yahweh, which is violated
by some translators.

> The only texts that need to be re-paragraphed are those without any
> paragraphing markup whose print editions do include paragraphing and texts
> that came out of OLB.  OLB has a fixed paragraphing structure that it
> (incorrectly) imposes on ALL texts.  But I don't think we have many texts
> from OLB any longer as we've mostly found better sources.

Well, I remembered that some day I compared some paragraph splittings from OLB
with a Holy Roll. These seems to be identical. So, apparently we can use OLB
to extract the correct splitting.
--
Victor Porton (porton@ex-code.com)

--