[sword-devel] Greetings/ Text-to-speech

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 11:54:39 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 porton@narod.ru wrote:

> > I believe your text-to-speech mechanism would be a very cool addition
> > to Sword. How difficult would it be to integrate it?
>
> A false belief (if you are about Sword library, not BibleCS). Individual
> Sword's front-ends can just call some speech engine (such as Festival)
> themselves directly, not through Sword.

Actually, we would tend to do just this (integrating with Sword, not
frontends) whenever possible.  If we wanted TTS, we should try to build it
into Sword at the library level to provide the functionality to ALL
frontends.  This helps keep the frontends on an equal level as much as
possible, which allows us to provide similar feature sets to users on
different platforms.  If all our TTS options were platform dependant, that
would be about the only good reason to avoid integration with the library
and go straight to the frontend.

It's essentially the same as we have done with ICU.

--Chris