[sword-devel] _Interface_ through Java

Joe Walker sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 07 Sep 2002 06:35:46 +0100

Hi,

porton@narod.ru wrote:

>There are JSword, a project which duplicated C++ code in Java.
>
>I think, it would be much faster (for computer) to call C++ code (not sure
>whether Java is able to call C++ directly, but we have raw C API) from Java.
>Am I right?

Dispite all the hype I think that while Java is generally slower than
C++ most of the time it wont be a problem. Generally I think that JNI is
a bad idea. In all the Java projects I've worked on I have never hated
any projects as much as my 2 JNI ones.

>This is especially useful for embedding Sword in HTML/XML files as JavaScript
>can call Java functions.
>
>Are there any development on this topic?
>
>Or you think that JSword is enough fast and there are no need for such
>_interfacing_ in Java?
>
>P.S. What are development status and stability of JSword now?

JSword is coming on well - if all you want to do is read the KJV it is a
very nice interface. The biggest drawback at the moment is the code that
reads sword modules. Beta shouldn't be tooooo long ;-).

Joe.