[sword-devel] Doctrinal Statement

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:17:48 EDT

--part1_168.131cd487.2aa52f7c_boundary

In a message dated 9/2/2002 4:48:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dannyza1981@yahoo.co.uk writes:

> Having doctrinal statements puts people off, I know, it would put me off
> sword. The fact that I'm Jewish and benefit from sword means a lot, and
> having doctrinal statements can be offensive to groups, especially those
> doing research, and coming from different backgrounds...
>
> If people want to discuss doctrine, let them do it on other lists, if
> people
> want to discuss the failings of the church, let them do it on other
> christian lists...
>
> theres my 2 cents worth, take it or ignore it.
>
> DF

Yes, you do have a point but there is a problem with your objection.  The
sword project is a complete Bible meaning both the Old and New Testaments.
Therefore the project itself should also "offend" you because the New
Testament clearly proclaims Jesus, Yeshua, as Messiah.

If people are studying the Bible they can not help but to encounter
"doctrine."  What happens when they come across John 3:16 or 1 Corinthians
15:3,4?

It is not logical to attempt to have a "full" Bible software package and not
be Christian.  That would be like building a software version of the Koran
and then being offended if the five pillars of Islam are included.    A basic
doctrinal statement could be added that would agree with the teachings of
almost all fundamental Christians.

--part1_168.131cd487.2aa52f7c_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 9/2/2002 4:48:03 PM Eastern Standard Time, dannyza1981@yahoo.co.uk writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Having doctrinal statements puts people off, I know, it would put me off<BR>
sword. The fact that I'm Jewish and benefit from sword means a lot, and<BR>
having doctrinal statements can be offensive to groups, especially those<BR>
doing research, and coming from different backgrounds...<BR>
<BR>
If people want to discuss doctrine, let them do it on other lists, if people<BR>
want to discuss the failings of the church, let them do it on other<BR>
christian lists...<BR>
<BR>
theres my 2 cents worth, take it or ignore it.<BR>
<BR>
DF<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Yes, you do have a point but there is a problem with your objection.&nbsp; The sword project is a complete Bible meaning both the Old and New Testaments.&nbsp; Therefore the project itself should also "offend" you because the New Testament clearly proclaims Jesus, Yeshua, as Messiah.<BR>
<BR>
If people are studying the Bible they can not help but to encounter "doctrine."&nbsp; What happens when they come across John 3:16 or 1 Corinthians 15:3,4?<BR>
<BR>
It is not logical to attempt to have a "full" Bible software package and not be Christian.&nbsp; That would be like building a software version of the Koran and then being offended if the five pillars of Islam are included.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A basic doctrinal statement could be added that would agree with the teachings of almost all fundamental Christians. </FONT></HTML>

--part1_168.131cd487.2aa52f7c_boundary--