[sword-devel] BibleCS 1.4.5rc2

Troy A. Griffitts sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 01 Sep 2002 18:55:46 -0700

> I still don't quite know what these locale files are for. Since I can read
> Chinese, Greek, and Hebrew modules fine in win2k set in En(US) locale, I
> assume these locale files in uilocales.d are meant to enable you to
> localize the edit boxes in the toolbar area so you navigate in unicode.

Steve, thanks for your encouragement.
The locale files are to change the book names in the engine and parsing 
your input for verse references, and also to change the user interface 
labels.  Try German.  They are NOT unicode specific (actually, I think 
the Chapter= entry is utf8 specific now, so we can display this 
appropriately in our unicode-aware edit control).  We're hoping to 
enable utf8 processing throughout the locales files in a release very 
soon.  Thanks for all your valuable feedback.


> I love the improvements we've made in functionality & I love to have the
> daily devotional under help menu localized so I can read Mrs. Cowman's
> Stream in the Desert in Chinese. This is a module I made for myself. And
> since we don't have an English version available I'd assume there are some
> copyright issues.
> On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>>Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 17:39:54 -0700
>>From: "Troy A. Griffitts" <scribe@crosswire.org>
>>Reply-To: sword-devel@crosswire.org
>>To: sword-devel@crosswire.org
>>Subject: Re: [sword-devel] BibleCS 1.4.5rc2
>>	Try specifically selecting a font that handles unicode chinese for the 
>>module over which you would like to search (in preferences, last tab, 
>>bottom button).
>>	Then when you select this modules, the search edit box is SUPPOSED to use 
>>this font.  Please let me know your findings.
>>	-Troy.
>>Steve Tang wrote:
>>>Very good. But I do have a few concerns:
>>>* I think 1.5.4. is going to be awesome, but I would still have big problem
>>>trying to 'sell' sword to my church folks if they have to know English
>>>book names to use sword. In general, they know English but my church has
>>>so many mainlanders who didn't even know about the bible when they came
>>>Also I'm not sure how these locale files work. I use win2k with En(US)
>>>locale. The bible texts box, lexicon box, search dialog show Chinese
>>>correctly. But the edit boxes next to Search button don't show Chinese,
>>>regardless which locale file I pick.
>>>* The locale files zh_cn.conf and zh_tw.conf are sorta embarassing. Not
>>>only are they not utf-8, but also the Chinese translation of book names
>>>are funny. E.g. '1st' gets translated into a word which means 'extreme,'
>>>'2nd' translates into 'rape;' and numerous others. I'd say half of the
>>>Chinese book names are wrong.
>>>Attached in the zip file are four 'corrected' files. The convention is
>>> t = traditional
>>> s = simplified
>>> u = utf-8
>>> b = big5
>>> g = gb
>>>The following are minor:
>>>* In Gill module 1Sa 7:12 starts with "And Samuel took a stone, and set
>>>it, &c.]" Notice the "&c.]" at the end. I think this is a module problem.
>>>* The personal module somewhat handles big5 codes in the editor, but can't
>>>display Chinese once you save it. It corrupts Chinese in utf-8.
>>>Steve Tang...
> Steve Tang...