[sword-devel] Fonts?

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:51:55 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Patrick Narkinsky wrote:

> At this point, I am using rtf and an rtf filter to display verses.  However,
> greek text does not display correctly (take a look at the screenshot at
> http://www.wingedpigs.com/patmos-102402.tiff for what I mean.)  How is Greek
> text encoded in sword?  I have tried rendering with a couple of unicode
> fonts I know support greek (arial and athena) without success.
>
> Should such a font work?  If so, how is this setup?  Is it a 16-bit unicode,
> or...
>
> Sorry if this is an rtfm thing, but I can't seem to find it.

It's UTF-8 encoded Unicode.  Everything should, at this point, be UTF-8
encoded Unicode, except for some modules that are in Codepage 1252 and a
couple of Czech modules that need to be fixed still.

I can't help you much beyond that.  There are filters for converting UTF-8
to HTML, RTF, and possibly UTF-16 (untested) if you can use any of those
more easily.

Any Unicode font with those codepoints ought to work.  And if it fails, it
should show boxes or question marks rather than other characters.

--Chris