[sword-devel] GCC 3.2

Steven P. Ulrick sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 13:15:58 -0500

Hello, everyone :)
My report of successfully installing the CVS's of Sword and Bibletime on
Red Hat 8.0 was premature.  (They both used to work fine.  For some
reason a few days ago they stopped compiling and installing correctly. 
The following report is based on the fact that I did a fresh install of
Red Hat 8.0 this morning.

After numerous crashes during the compilation process for Sword and
Bibletime, I checked out completely new copies of the CVS's.  I got
Sword from Crosswire, not Sourceforge, and I got Bibletime from
Sourceforge.  Before I compiled and installed either Sword (I edited
"usrinst.sh" to disable deugging, as Daniel told us to do) or Bibletime,
I searched /usr for any traces of either and deleted all that I found. 
(That was after I ran make uninstall from my CVS directories of Sword
and Bibletime.)  Both Sword and Bibletime appeared to install fine. 
When I typed bibletime on the command line, it gave me the expected
message about there being no mods.d directory (I was going to close
Bibletime right away and put the mods.s and modules directories where
they were expected (/usr/share/sword  Oh yeah, /etc/sword.conf does
point to /usr/share/sword), but then I received the following message in
the terminal window:

(BibleTime 1.3pre) WARNING: BibleTime::initView()
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = bibletime path = <unknown> pid = 29615

Here is the backtrace log:
[New Thread 8192 (LWP 29374)]
0x420ae169 in wait4 () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
#0  0x420ae169 in wait4 () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
#1  0x4212a2d0 in __DTOR_END__ () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
#2  0x4100ac63 in waitpid () from /lib/i686/libpthread.so.0
#3  0x408bb1a5 in KCrash::defaultCrashHandler(int) ()
   from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4
#4  <signal handler called>
#5  0x0808cbee in
#CMDIArea*, char const*) () 6  0x08076ca6 in
#BibleTime::createDisplayWindow(QPtrList<CSwordModuleInfo>, QString
#const&) () 7  0x08076d3a in
#BibleTime::createDisplayWindow(CSwordModuleInfo*, QString const&) () 8 
#0x08077101 in BibleTime::processCommandline() () 9  0x08077897 in main
#() 10 0x420158d4 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6

In the midst of typing this, I discovered that I was trying to run
Bibletime while I was su'd into root.  The only time I run Bibletime as
root is right after I install it, just to see if everything is working. 
When I tried it in my user accound, it worked fine.  But if possible,
I'd still like to know what caused it to crash as root, when it always
worked fine before.

Anyway, thanks for your help on this matter.
Steven P. Ulrick